The Ministry Of Outreach
The purpose of The Ministry of Outreach is to communicate through words (spoken, printed, and multimedia) and actions (physical and financial) the good news of Jesus Christ to all people beyond the congregation’s membership.
GSLC's Outreach ministry comprises more than 27% of our budget and includes the U.C. Campus ministry at the Edge House. Good Shepherd is involved with many opportunities and events, many of which are listed below. Our Assistant for Outreach Ministry, Betsy Schutte, would be happy to answer any questions and help you become connected with events that are of interest to you.
- The Edge @ UC : The Lutheran Campus Ministry at the University of Cincinnati, which we refer to as “The Edge @ UC Campus Ministry,” is the major Outreach ministry undertaken by Good Shepherd. UC students are offered an opportunity to eat & commune, called NOSH, on Sunday evenings. Due to the congregation’s faithful stewardship and support, we are able to fully fund this important ministry that, under Pastor Alice’s leadership, is touching the lives of hundreds of UC students and staff each month.
- Crayons 2 Computers
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hope House Transitional Housing Ministry
- Missionary Support
- Pastors’ Discretionary Fund: Almost every day, our church is contacted by one or more people who are in need of help with food, medicine, clothing, transportation or housing. Thousands of dollars in extra donations of money and supermarket gift cards from both congregation members and non-members help augment our budget and capabilities for helping people in need. Over 200 families were aided during the 2013-14 program year!
- Taft Elementary Adopt A Class Ministry
- Northeast Emergency Distribution Services (NEEDS)
- Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN)
- Financial Support Only: The Outreach Ministry budget also supports organizations and ministries with financial support without offering a program within the congregation. The main recipients of these budgeted funds are: Interparish Ministry, Tanzania Missionary Rev. John Lunn, Graceworks (Lutheran Social Services), Lutheran Outdoor Ministries of Ohio, Camp Luther, Roselawn (Ohio) Health Ministries, First Lutheran (Over the Rhine), Peace Lutheran (Slidell, LA), Sweeten Life Systems, Oesterlen Services for Youth, ELCA/Southern Ohio Synod, and the ELCA World Hunger Appeal.
- Larry’s Legacy: Our newest outreach ministry was set up to honor Pastor Larry Donner upon the event of his retirement. He has such a heart for outreach ministry that it seemed fitting to connect his legacy at Good Shepherd with helping others. We ask every individual to drop just $1 into the “Larry’s Legacy” box every Sunday. Typically, by the end of the month, we have raised around $1,000 that we then give to one person or family that needs a big hand-up. We look for people that are in a position to “brush themselves off” and move ahead, if they only had some to help pick them up. Since starting the collection in April 14, 2013, we have raised over $3,164 and have helped 3 people (2 congregation members) get back on their feet again.
- Christmas Gift Program
- The Hunger Action Team (HAT)
- Hands Against Hunger (formerly Kids Against Hunger) Week, including a euchre tournament, old-fashioned bingo, silent auction and bake sale.
- Wells for Tanzania
- Dresses for Tanzania
- Operation Christmas Child
- ELCA Disaster Response
- Matthew 25 Ministries
- Peaslee Center
- Crayons To Computers
- Volunteer Opportunities: We provide at least 6 opportunities each year for members to volunteer at either Hands Against Hunger or Matthew 25 Ministries. At Hands Against Hunger, people of all ages can pack highly nutritious meals to be sent to starving children in other parts of the world, and to groups in America that have been devastated by natural disasters. At Matthew 25 Ministries, people of all ages are assigned a job to do in their warehouse, depending upon their age and ability. We do jobs such as sorting clothes and shoes, emptying individual soap dispensers into one large vat, and working in their paint department. Our Hunger Action Team also offers an opportunity for volunteers to join them for the “Fighting Hunger 5K” Run/Walk every November that benefits Matthew 25.
- Additional Fund-Raising: Good Shepherd is a very generous congregation! In addition to all of the time and resources given to the above ministries and programs, the congregation also donated over $1,000 to our ELCA Malaria Campaign, $7,987 to Disaster Relief after Superstorm Sandy hit the Northeast and tornadoes destroyed whole towns in Oklahoma. There are other outreach activities conducted by other ministries within our church, and our congregation is always there to support them also.